11/04/2013

Cueva de las Manos


I continue my trip alone, again, as Lionel has taken the plane from Rio Gallegos back to Belgium. I have some loooong bus rides in front of me. Then Anja suddenly appears in the bus to Perito Moreno (the city) and the bus ride transforms into a pleasant one! We decide to meet in El Bolsón three days later.
I plant my tent in the camping municipal for two days. Perito Moreno is small and pleasant, but there is not so much to see there. I take the bus to Los Antiguos for the day, visit the lakeside and some chacras (farms producing jam, liquors, and other homemade products) while waiting for the real reason I wanted to come here: La Cueva de las Manos. 


9000 years ago, original inhabitants of the area decorated the walls of Rio Pintura with handprints, guanacos (argentinian lamas), and geometrical figures. The prints were made by blowing paint from their right hand with their mouth onto their left hand, leaving a negative image of the hand on the rock. How interesting! There are hundreds of paintings. Can you spot the foot of a nando (argentinian ostrich) or a hand with 6 fingers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment