10/04/2013

Buenos Aires


On the 24th of February I am supposed to take the plane to London, then to Buenos Aires. Except it doesn’t quite happen like that. I get on the first plane alright, then we sit for more than an hour in the plane, waiting for who knows what, and when we finally take off, I am almost certain I will miss the second plane in London. I do. Luckily, British Airways is a good airline and compensates this minor delay in my trip by giving me a lot of meal vouchers and allocating me in a nice hotel with steam bath, but no WIFI. Here, I spend my day eating at the hotel’s nice buffets with Janet, from Ireland, and sleeping, getting ready for Argentina!
At the airport in Buenos Aires, I meet Anja, from Germany, and something just clicks. Little did I know then that we would spend the next two and a half weeks chasing each other in Patagonia… Juan welcomes me at the bus station with detailed instructions on how to get to his apartment and a giant smile, and he is fluent in German! When will I get to practice my Spanish with all these German-speaking people around? After a nice shower I head into town. The bus drives through Palermo, leaving me in the Recoleta Barrio (neighborhood) where I want to visit the famous cemetery where Eva Peron (Evita), among other illustrious personalities, is buried. The place is magical with huge crypts, rusty locks and spider webs adding some mystery to it. Who were all these people? What were their lives like? Why were they buried here? I let my imagination run wild.
On my second day, the plan is to go to la Boca, another famous barrio in Buenos Aires, where most of the immigrants first settled; those Italians who used to work in the meat factories, filling tin boxes for exportation. I pick up Anja from her hostel in San Telmo, famous for its tango bars (milongas). We spend the whole day strolling around in la Boca, el Caminito, with its colored houses and artists selling their works in the street. Then we get hungry and decide on a restaurant with a show. Anja wants to try some tango on the scene of the restaurant. She undergoes a total transformation. From a girl with backpacker look she changes into the most elegant tango dancer, en-lacing her partner to the rhythm of the seductive music. When they finish, everyone cheers, they probably thought she was part of the show…

No comments:

Post a Comment