26/06/2013

Cusco and Machu Picchu

Cuzco is the kind of city I could spend weeks in without getting bored. Its streets are welcoming and the population friendly. I wander around aimlessly, admiring the artworks sold in the street. I visit a small museum showing weaving techniques and traditions. Two women are weaving in the museum, they come from a village nearby and demonstrate different ways of weaving and decorating their work.


I spend one whole day trying to find a good deal for Machu Picchu, which is not so easy. Inca trail should have been booked months ago and even Huayna Picchu, the mountain in front of Machu Pichu is sold out. I buy a ticket to Machu Picchu Mountain which I will not regret.
First, I go by private car to Ollantaytambo and from there I take the train to Aguas Calientes. Aguas Calientes is a very pleasant place and its hot springs relaxing after a day of travel. I spend too much time in the baths, my fingers get all wrinkly. Better get early to bed, I want to be on the first bus up to Machu Picchu in the morning. It is raining at first, and the whole site is hidden in a cloud. I have booked a guided tour to learn more about the Incas and their way of living. Fredrik is a photographer and installs his camera to film as the mist lifts from the ruins. As the morning gets older, the ruins slowly appear. It is magical! There are many lamas around, posing for our pictures. I climb the mountain, the view is breathtaking. The feeling of being here is even better than I imagined. I can picture the Incas walking around in the streets of the city. Their civilization was very advanced; especially in astronomy. They also had a special system for water irrigation. This was truly one of the highlights of my trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment