26/06/2013

Arequipa and Colca Canyon

The cheapest bus to Arequipa costs only 5€. A good deal if the guy next to me had taken a shower. Renzo is my host in Arequipa. He lives close to the center in a beautiful apartment. His family lives upstairs and is like Renzo trying to make my stay as pleasant as possible, and they succeed! Arequipa is a beautiful city. The sunset over Plaza de Armas is incredible. I visit an old convent and take in the atmosphere of the city.


Renzo helps me find a good deal for the Colca Canyon, the deepest canyon in the world, or is it the second deepest…? Our guide is excellent. We descend into the canyon. It is pretty steep and my knees feel it too. Admire the scenery… Some condors fly over the canyon at Cruz del Condor, cactus cling to the cliff. We have lunch at the bottom of the canyon, walk three more hours and crawl to bed. The next day we have to climb all the way up again, 1300m of steep slope, starting at 5 o’clock in the morning to be on top before sunrise. We set off at a steady pace; donkeys pass us carrying the wounded and tired. A little bit more than two hours later we reach the top, what a relief! On our way back to Arequipa we stop at a village with baby lamas and several other viewpoints. Finally, the Misti appears, next time I come here I want to climb it.

photos Colca Canyon

1 comment:

  1. arequipa... moi cela me rappelle lorsque ton ventre tremblait alors que tu étais malade, en même temps que ton habitation craquait a cause des secousses sismiques provoquées par le volcan. j etais en contact avec toi par messages et je tremblais de peur que si les messages ne passaient plus c etait a cause d un tremblement de terre. bisou

    ReplyDelete