16/03/2013

Singapore and Malaysia


When I planned my trip, I thought I would have a short stopover in Singapore, a couple of days maybe. I am really really happy that I changed my plans and stayed for a week with Wayne and his family: Rose, his wife, Courtney and Conan, their children, and their nanny from the Philippines, Regina. I was their first ever couchsurfing guest, my favourite plot. We got to discover together the delights of cultural exchange made possible by couchsurfing. This however was a very special experience which I will remember all my life. Wayne is the most hospitable person I have ever met, and he is very enthusiastic and eager to learn new things. Rose runs a hairsalon, and if you happen to go to Singapore, I highly recommend you to go to Turnstyles (Joo Chiat Place), where Rose’s magic scissors make miracles on your head! And if you go there, you can even have a glimpse of my sofabed, which is in the back of the salon.
Singapore is a very modern city, with skyscrapers and futuristic architectural creations everywhere. The most spectacular one is probably the Marina Bay hotel with its swimming pool on the roof. It looks like a ship and if you want to stay there, the cheapest room is around 400$... Luckily you can see the swimming pool even if you don’t stay there, that's what I did! Another place I went to is the newly opened botanical garden with its supertrees. They look like aliens but they actually produce oxygen like normal trees do. And guess who I saw one evening? Shuyi, from the singapore gang!!


Singapore is only half an hour from Malaysia by car and I took advantage of that and did two excursions there. The first excursion I did on my own, to the jungle and to a waterfall resort near Kota Tinggi. Quite interesting to walk in the jungle, I even found a nice spot to refresh myself in the stream. The day after, I visited a crocodile farm. The only way to get there was by taxi. Big was my surprise when we arrived there and…no one! Not a single other tourist. Actually my guide was the taxi driver! We walked through the farm, taking our time and I got to photograph these fascinating animals from every angle. It is exciting to think that they lived at the same time as the dinosaurs.
The second excursion was with Wayne and his family, and we decided to go to Melaka two days, famous for its red houses and laid back atmosphere. We stayed at Tang House, nice and central. Melaka offered us all the best it had: beautiful weather, delicious meals at various restaurants (Wayne definitely knows how to pick them), markets, even a night tour in rickshaws, all playing the same song: Gangnam style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0 , over and over again. Day two was spent in the botanical garden surrounded by plants and trees in every shape. The children loved it, and so did we! If you read this Wayne, thank you again with all my heart for my fantastic stay!  

No comments:

Post a Comment