28/10/2012

Shangri La


Shangri La is such a nice place! If I had more time I would stay longer here. My hostel is really nice, Tavern 47, situated just outside the old town. Again there is no room for me but they offer me a couch in the common room. I am very grateful and install my few belongings in a little corner. There are many beautiful temples in Shangri La but my favourite one is the Chicken Temple. It is situated on a hilltop and is so peaceful, almost no tourist goes there it seems. And of course there are a lot of chicken there! On my way up I meet a woman selling incense. She invites me for milk tea and Moon cake. I am really lucky to meet all these people. These moments are magical, and you never know when it will happen, that is the beauty of it. She tells me about her children and that she is not feeling very well these days, she has a bad cough and a runny nose. All with gestures and facial expressions, she speaks no English at all.
The old town is very touristy but still very enjoyable. I also climb up to a giant praying wheel on another hill and visit a museum about the Long March. The town is very peaceful and has a good atmosphere. The owner of the hostel helps me plan my next days. I want to go hiking in Tiger Leaping Gorges, two days. There is no problem to do it alone he says and indicates which bus I have to take and where I can leave my big backpack during the trek.

photos Shangri La

No comments:

Post a Comment