16/10/2012

Beijing in 4 days

day 1
Beijing, boiling capital of the Republic of China, home to 33 million people. Many an Emperor from hundreds of dynasties ruled the country from this very spot. Physionomy of people change again, it’s easy to spot the tourists in the myriad of Chinese, in the street, in the metro, they are everywhere. Mille, Anne and I head for a youth hostel in a Hutong (typical street in Beijing with little shops and restaurants in the street).



Leo’s courtyard hostel has an ideal location for those who want to discover the city from the inside. The room is 50 Yuan, I soon understand why, there is no window! Fortunately it’s only for one night as I’m moving to a couchsurfer tomorrow. In the evening we meet again, the “Ger-connection” as we now call ourselves, for lovely dinner and some Tsing Tao beer.


day 2
Scarlett works in the tourism business in Beijing. She is the sweetest Chinese company I could dream of. We decide to visit Temple of Heaven together. She teaches me about the dragon culture in China, the dragon also being the symbol of the Emperor, becoming so after a dragon ate him. His wife is the phoenix. There are so many beautiful stories in the Chinese culture. These stories are also communicated through the Chinese writing signs, each being a symbol telling a story. Temple of heaven is extraordinary, built in the tradition of 9, the holiest number. It is round, which is not usual for a temple. The emperor used to pray here to the God of Harvest, sacrificing animals in the huge green wells and collecting their blood, hoping for good crops. Scarlet recommends me to try an ice cream, bean ice cream. It is quite tasty to my surprise. This was truly a beautiful start to the day.








Next up is Forbidden City. Do you know why it is called Forbidden City? Because it used to be forbidden to normal people, only the Emperor and his people were allowed inside, and from there they ruled over China. I knew it was huge but nobody told me to which extent. I am overwhelmed by the constructions, one more beautiful than the other. In total I spend three hours in there, but I probably could have stayed for days without even seeing everything.





Tian An Men square is just in front of Forbidden city so I pay her a visit before returning to the hostel. A huge portrait of Mao thrones at one end of the square, the Mao Mausoleum at the other. I gaze over the thousands of Square meters which less than 30 years ago were invaded by students protesting against the Regime.


Tonight I’m going to Tom’s place. He lives with his wife and his son Jerry. In China, if you have more than one child, you must pay a fine. Jerry goes to private school and his passion is drawing. Wherever he is, his pencil never rests. He produces comics on all kinds of subjects, he even has one on Tintin! We make plans for the next day, we will all go to Muytanyu for the day. I’m very excited!

day 3
The great wall was not built all in one go. It was started, continued, then restored. Thousands, maybe millions of people have worked on it, many of them probably devoted their whole life to it, even more died doing so. It stretches from the coast in the east to the mountains in the north, close to Mongolia. Built to separate China from the attackers in the north, it separates the landscape in two for 10.000km. It is the most impressive human construction I have ever seen, I’m breathless (also because the steps are so steep). We climb it for a while then decide to stop for lunch, what a beautiful view. And I’m here with the most amazing host family in China. Tom and I discuss a lot, about China, about Europe, I think we are both equally curious to get to know about the other’s culture, habits and points of view. In the evening, we play badminton with his friends, Josh and Karl among others. After we go for drinks and continue our discussions. I have no other words to describe how I go to bed: I fall!

day 4
Today is Summer Palace, the summer residence of the Emperor. I only thought that America was big and beautiful, but Chinese know how to build huge as the Forbidden City, and now this, shows. Beautiful coloured pagodas, covered pathways, bridges, temples and other buildings with inscriptions and carvings spread in this vast and green park. I decide to walk to the edge in order to get a better view. Some women are practicing Tai chi there and I sit down to have some lunch. I stay for the whole day, enjoying this beautiful and peaceful spot in the outskirts of Beijing. In the evening I’m invited to Tom’s place for Chinese supper. His parents are visiting and have cooked the most delicious vegetarian meal. I need two servings, maybe even three as this food is so tasteful. Then we go swimming. The hotel’s name is Pure Water, four stars and it has a 50m pool. I’m in heaven! It is the best pool I’ve ever swum in. We wanted to go to the cinema after but there is only so much to be fitted into one day, it will be a drink instead, with Josh. I already miss them…

photos Beijing

No comments:

Post a Comment