08/08/2013

Dar es Salaam

Digna and I take the morning bus to Dar es Salaam where the family is expecting us. We are all here for the same reason, to celebrate the communion of Zeno, a ten year old boy. On my first day, Athanase takes me to the city as we live a little bit outside of town. The micros here are if possible even fuller than any other place I have been, and people push to squeeze in even more passengers. It takes more than two hours to get to town and to be honest it is not a very nice one. The beach however is nice and it is only two buses and a ferry away… The moon is beautiful tonight and as I was watching it rise I thought to myself that either you have or you will be watching the same moon wherever you are in the world.

The day of the celebration we first all go to church. It is not a stone church or brick church like we have at home. It is a huge tent and whoever doesn’t fit inside it can sit outside, on one of the nearby hills. That is what we do so we can enjoy some sunlight at the same time. After mass we head to the family house where everybody is getting ready. Last preparations before the big evening which proves to be perfect! The food is so delicious and there is a lot of dancing. Zeno is in the center of the celebration, gets a lot of gifts and even gets to drink champagne. I know about one happy boy who is going to sleep tonight.

photos Dar es Salaam


No comments:

Post a Comment